Sunday, November 21, 2010

Teeth Cleaning

A couple of years ago we took our dog to the vet for her annual wellness check. She was given her shots and started on heart worm. The vet also suggested that we start brushing her teeth as there was quite significant plaque build-up in spots. I knew my dog did not have the most pearly whites anymore, but what dog does? My husband wanted to ignore this advice but I opted to give it a try, in the best interest of our dog. So I bought a dog toothbrush and toothpaste the following week.

My dog was lying down in her favourite spot on the corner of the couch when I first approached her. I held the toothbrush in my right hand and attempted to slowly and gently open up her mouth with my left hand. She let me at first until the toothbrush came within inches and she quickly slammed her mouth shut. I then tried wrapping my left arm around her in a headlock and quickly getting the brush in when she momentarily opened her mouth again. This resulted in her grabbing the toothbrush and spitting in on the floor in one quick motion. I continued to try for a good 10-15 minutes without any success so went back to the pet store and got a small brush that was placed over my finger. My dog allowed me to get my hand in her mouth for a few seconds with this one but I quickly realized how useless the brush was. It was doing absolutely nothing as I tried to brush back and forth over her teeth.

The following year we went back to the vet and he recommended that we start brushing our dog's teeth. This time we both ignored the advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment