Friday, November 26, 2010

Beds

Our dog (Sam), has the same routine for bed each night. She heads into the bedroom, stretches at the edge of my side, jumps up and walks to the foot of my husband's side, does a circle and then lays down. She will lie there until just before 9 p.m. then stand up, do a full body shake, jump down off the bed by my husband's side, and curl up on her own bed located between the bed and the window. She will stay on her bed, except to get up on occasion to get a drink of water, until morning. Unless someone else gets up, then she will pop up her head and assess the situation before going back to sleep or following the person out of the room.

Once morning comes, Sam gets up, stretches, then jumps back onto my husband's side of the bed and curls up on his feet until everyone gets up. My husband usually leaves the window shade partly open, so she has a perfect view of the backyard.

Last night I went to bed early and saw that Sam had already left our bed. My husband had left his bedside light on so after I got into bed, I reached over to turn off his light. I then looked down and was shocked to see that Sam was not only lying on her bed, which had several extra layers that my husband must have added to it, but she also had her head on a pillow. I smiled thinking of my husband telling me years ago that he would never allow Sam on any of the furniture. Now she both shared his side of the bed, and had reached a point where he had now made her a human bed of her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment